Keeping up with the tradition of keeping users and fans updated, iPhone Dev Team leader MuscleNerd updated on the iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak via his Twitter and posted a link to a quick info sheet for the upcoming untether that every jailbreak enthusiast is currently looking forward to.
In this info sheet, he has basically confirmed that the long awaited jailbreak will be out by the end of this week. However, with these things you can never be too sure and the ETA may change due to any unforeseen changes in which case the release may be delayed.
All devices that can run iOS 5.1.1 will be covered by the jailbreak. One notable exception to this is the third generation Apple TV but all other device owners can rest assured that the jailbreak, when released, will cover their device too. This means that you are safe to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 today, if you wish to do so, unless you are running an unlock in which case you would not want do do do.
MuscleNerd also points out the legendary dev Planetbeing as having stepped up to provide a kernel exploit that covered both iPod 3,1 and iPhone 2,1. Initially the kernel exploit was provided by Westbaer which ruled out both iPod 3,1 and iPhone 2,1 but that changed thanks to Planetbeing.
Perhaps most interestingly, multiple jailbreak tools will be made available for use. Similar to the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak, there will actually be options and users will be free to choose what jailbreak method they want to use. These will include the popular Absinthe, Redsn0w and cinject.
At the end of all the points that MuscleNerd listed, the hacker has pleaded with everyone not to pirate AppStore apps; the reason for which is obvious. Hopefully this will cause people to reassess how they stand on piracy.
Also mentioned is a new PayPal URL; those wishing to donate in lieu of all the hard work that these hackers and developers put into coming up with amazing jailbreak solutions for everybody can make monetary contributions via this link.
MuscleNerd on the forthcoming jailbreak:
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: paypal
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
Whether the jailbreak is released by the end of this week or not, it surely isn’t too long a way off now. Soon everyone will be able to choose their favourite jailbreak tool to get an untethered jailbreak running on their iDevice. Stay tuned to Techsliver for the latest on the iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak.