The Korean company’s flagship new device, the Samsung Galaxy S III, has its own ClockworkMod Touch recovery now! The recovery has all the features that you would expect it to have with touch functionality being an addition. It can be installed through either Odin or Mobile Odin.
If you have the international GSM version of the Samsung Galaxy S III, you are in luck as this recovery is only compatible with this variant. Others will have to wait.
The ClockworkMod Touch recovery is simply the official Touch version of ClockworkMod taken from the official site, packed into a tar file to enable flashing via Odin or Mobile Odin.
If you want ClockworkMod Touch recovery on your GSM Samsung Galaxy S III, follow the instructions below carefully. Please note that any resulting damage to your device will not be taken responsibility for. Proceed at your own risk.
You’ll need a Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, a Windows PC and USB data cable.
The procedure will wipe all your data, excluding what you have on your SD Card. Hence, no need to worry about data on the SD Card. Simply back up the rest and make sure you do so if you don’t want to lose all your apps and important data.
Make sure that your phone has at least 70% battery power remaining to avoid complications during the process.
Enable USB Debugging. Navigate to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” to enable it.
Please uninstall the Samsung’s PC software Kies if you have it installed on your phone. This step is a precautionary measure simply to make it sure that it will not interrupt during the flashing.
Make sure that you have proper drivers installed on your Samsung device. If not, install them from this link.
Instructions To Install ClockworkMod Touch:
1. Download the attached tar file at the bottom of this post. DO NOT EXTRACT THIS FILE! If you end up with a recovery.img file then smack yourself and start again.
2. Download Odin (windows only) at the bottom if you don’t already have it and unzip it to a folder on your PC
3. Reboot into Download Mode: Power off your device, Hold down the ‘HOME’ + ‘VOLUME DOWN’ buttons and press the ‘POWER’ button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the ‘VOLUME UP’ button to enter Download Mode.
4. Plug your usb cable in
5. Start Odin (double click Odin3_v3.04.exe).
NOTE: When Odin opens you should see that the first box at the top under ID:COM should turn blue and ‘Added’ should appear in the message box in Odin.
6. Make sure ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’ are ticked in Odin and nothing else.
7. Click on the ‘PDA’ button in Odin and browse to the recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-i9300.tar file that you downloaded.
8. Click on ‘Start’ to flash CWM to your phone.
NOTE: You can see whats happening in the message box in Odin. When the flash completes you should see ‘PASS’ in the top left the box will turn green and your phone will reboot.
9. You now have CWM Touch Recovery permanently flashed.
How To Access ClockworkMod Touch:
1. Unplug the USB cable.
2. Shut down the phone.
3. Hold down the ‘HOME’ + ‘VOLUME UP’ buttons and press the ‘POWER’ button for about 5 seconds to enter Recovery Mode.
Head over to this thread for the download links.
Development regarding the device has been fast. We have previously written about how three US variants of the impressive device have already been rooted and how you can CF root yours. Official CyanogenMod 9 Nightly Builds were also released and the device can also be SIM unlocked by installing a simple .apk file. This has all happened in a very short period following the device’s release and the hard work of the developers has been such that they even managed to root the device sight unseen.