Due to the ongoing eagerness on Steve Jobs’ biography, fans have their attention on the iBookstore to read what story is carried in the book. Although the download and reading process isn’t easy when it comes to tether or semi untethered jailbreak devices. iBookstore on jailbroken iOS 5 devices has had a couple of crashes when iBooks is launched. But no need to worry, here is a fix to solve it all.
In order to get through the fix you will require iFile app which is a paid app available at BigBoss repo (money you will spend is worth it).
1. Uninstall iBooks. Once done, re-download it from the App Store. Don’t open the app once it is downloaded or your fix won’t work.
- Open iFile and perform the following steps:Copy iBooks.app file from /var/mobile/Application/(the folder where your iBooks resides) and paste it into /Applications.
- If there are non stock apps existing in your idevice, locate the iBooks folder. (TIP: SBSettings is a great tol to help you out easily)
2. In your property list editor, select /Info.plist present in your iBooks folder and opt for property list editor
3. Once in, goto CFBundleIdentifier renaming com.apple.iBooks to com.apple.iBooksFix
4. Exit iFile performing a respring
5. On your springboard you will see two iBooks icons now. One will be designed in a classic iOS fashion while the other will appear square. Delete the rounded one and leave the square one
6. For people who are concerned about the springboard looks, you may edit the .png file using SSH to access your device which can be done using DiskAid/iFunbox.
7. Please note that your fix will not allow you to purchase books from iBookstore neither will sync work with iTunes, but reading will be allowed. So in order to add more books you will have to use manual route.
8. Go to iFile and open it. Select Wi-Fi icon on the bottom left side of your screen.
9. Once done, you may open up your choice of browser and type:
http://iphone.local:10000/ then locate the var/mobile/Documents.
10. Hit the Choose File button and locate .epub files and sync them manually by clicking Upload . For newbies, .epub is your iBooks format file.
11. Head over to var/mobile/Documents and tapping your available uploaded .epub files will give you access to the iBooks and you will be able to view them. FINALLY!
Please note that this fix is not a pefect fix but allows you to go around and get what you want in some way. A wise man once said “SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING”. Stay tuned for more updates as we update you once a proper fix is available. Enjoy!
[ via ]